Monday, February 02, 2004

The Game Initiative's "Breaking In" Panel

So, writing a weekly BLOG is harder than I thought. I’ll keep plugging away at the little essay I started on the way to The Game Initiative’s Breaking in to the Game Industry Conference in San Francisco. Meanwhile, I’ll write down some of my thoughts of the event.

First, it was pretty amazing, how much of an age range there was at the event. Normally, you’d think that the room would be full of college-age people, but there were some guys in the crowd who were actually older than I am! ( I know, hard to believe). There was also a good mix of girls in the audience ( about 20 to 1, which is good for our male-dominated profession), and a wide spread of interests, from the standard programming, design and art guys to audio, business and QA guys. Heck, there was even one guy I talked to who wanted to do voice work for games.

The panel I was on went pretty well, and felt too short. I think we could have gone on for another hour without losing momentum.

In one of the more interesting answers about interviews, Rick Reynolds, General Manager of the Brand Division of Hudson Soft spoke about how he really pays attention to hands when interviewing. He immediately picks up the vibe of how you feel from what you do with your hands. In fact, he said, having well-presented hands was a big plus for him. A nice watch and a manicure on a guy really impress him. Of course, that’s him. Another take on how you should dress can be found in this article.

All in all, however, it was pretty standard fare. Getting in to the game industry is much like getting in to any other industry. You learn the applicable skills, you get experience from anywhere you can, you write a good resume, you meet people in the industry and impress them, and then you accept any job you can to crack in. Or, conversely, you buy your own company, or support a friend as he does all the hard work and then beg him to let you in on his coat tails.

If you have any questions about the conference, or want more info on breaking in to the industry, feel free to write me. My email address is on the bio page. I’ll post that essay as soon as I can!

Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home