Friday, August 22, 2008

A Short Batman Review

First off, this movie was so overhyped that it could not fail to disappoint me, which it did.

I think, boiling it down, it came down to two things:

1) The movie didn't make me feel like I wanted to be "Batman". It's all well and good to have a dramatic movie, but comics are all about the power fantasy. When I see Batman in this movie, it doesn't make me go "it would be so cool to *be* that guy". In fact, I would do anything not to be that guy. Some people might say that was the point of the movie. If so, that point hit a target audience other than me.

2) No character growth. Did Batman grow in this film? Did he change in any way? Only his situation changed. Normally, a story like this has two characters: a villain and a hero. By the end, the villain refuses to change, and shows that his refusal to change is what causes his downfall. The hero, on the other hand, makes a decision to alter his course and become the kind of person that can win the contest that he's in. In this movie, neither Batman nor the Joker change whatsoever. Batman wins because he had more resources and wore armor to the fight.

3)(You knew there had to be a three...) Everyone speaking as if they were trying to rip out their vocal chords after smoking a pack of Camels really got grating after a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you are soooo wrong! :)

Saturday, August 23, 2008  
Blogger John said...

Well played! I will hide my head in shame now.

Sunday, August 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Batman really did only 2 cool things the entire movie:

1) Drag the guy back from China. That was probably my favorite scene.

2) Link all the cell phones. Very good use of technology on his part.

Otherwise...feh. Not a movie I enjoyed. Coming from someone who has been a Batman fan forever, I was very disappointed.

And now, DC and Warner say that want to make all of their movies just like this one?

Blech...

Sunday, August 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home