Thursday, July 03, 2008

Best Comic

Two-and-a-half weeks of comics. Ugh. You guys are SO demanding.

Wait, no your not. I only write these things to make my friends who don't update their blogs regularly feel inadequate. ;-)

Here's the list:
Astonishing X-Men #25: Really good start for Warren Ellis' run. The group dynamics are really good. Also, Cyclops gets told he's the world's best superhero, which I used to agree with a long time ago.

Atom #25: Yeah, gotta quit this one.

Avengers Initiative #14: Not too bad: a sort of comedy of errors style twist at the end. One of the more interesting Secret Invasion titles.

Batman #678: I grabbed this one just to catch up. I think I saw this movie: it had John Lithgow and Denzel Washington in it. It was called "Ricochet.

Blue Beetle # 28: A decent enough issue. Jaime's cast is getting so huge that I don't know who everybody is anymore, though.

Brave and the Bold #14: A really good issue. I heart Deadman.

Final Crisis #2: As mentioned before, Grant Morrison really did well with this issue. Not as crazy as Seven Soldiers, more surreal than countdown. Just right. Loved the Japanese superheroes.

Green Lantern #32: The retconning of Green Lantern continues. Let's see if Johns can make Sinestro a sympathetic character. :-)

JLA #22: This feels like a total deja vu moment, as we come back to Amazo. I think Amazo has become overused this past year or so, with the Meltzer run, then the Kid Amazo JLA Classified run, and now this. Yeesh.

JSA Classified #39: Ok...next issue, let's have someone besides Wildcat.

Mighy Avengers #15: The making of the skrull Hank Pym. Very cool. Hank Pym is the Aquaman of the Avengers.

New Avengers #42: The making of Jessica Drew. Not as cool as the Hank Pym issue.

Noble Causes #35: I didn't want this, but it snuck its way into my stack. I still don't want it. The art is kinda lesser grade than previously, and the plot isn't as compelling.

Number of the Beast #6: This one kicked it up a notch as the 1950's heroes of the Wildstorm Universe finally wake up from their computer-generated dream. Next issue: see how they deal with the Authority! I'm hoping The High pummels Apollo.

Rann-Thanagar Holy War #3: Still really good. I love this series, though I think the cast is too big now. They should have left Animal Man and Starfire at home, though I'm sure Starfire is much happier in this comic than in the current Titians series, and Animal Man is just happy being in a book.

Trinity #4
Trinity #5: The series is still doing its job. I'm not getting into the tarot reader stuff in the back of the book, though.

Wolverine #66: This is a really good story. Highly recommend.

Wolverine First Class #4: This book lost a lot of its humor somewhere. I hope it gets it back.

Wolverine Origins #26: I really need to drop this book.

X-Men 1st Class #13: Still very good. Interacting with a young Aaron Stack is just awesome.

The verdict? Lots of really good stuff. I'm going to keep Final Crisis on top, but I'm going back to read Wolverine #66, if that tells you something.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elwood said...

JSA Classified and Atom are both cancelled now. The issues you reviewed here were their last.

Thursday, July 03, 2008  
Blogger Brett Douville said...

Guilty

Friday, July 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, this from one of John's friends who doesn't even have a blog.

Final Crisis. Ugh. I suppose if you can get past the fact that Orion's death has been shown three different times in three different ways and that DC decided they needed to kill yet another Giffen/DeMattis era JL member, it would appeal to some people.

As for me, I wash my hands of the whole lot. No more Final Crisis for me. No tie ins. Nothing. Don't really care for Grant Morrison. No Batman anymore either!

I just recently hacked out a metric ton from my list. Down to about half of what I used to buy. I am buying almost as many Marvel(!) as DC now.

Friday, July 04, 2008  
Blogger John said...

Elwood: well, that's a relief: I hate having to email Brian to tell him to remove stuff from my pull. They should have killed the series when Simone left.

Brett: Yes. Yes you are. :-)

Chad: I can see Final Crisis not being your bag. Morrison is walking a fine line here. The R.I.P. line is also really variable in terms of goodness, so it's no suprise to me that Marvel is gaining. Heck, look at my collection over the past year or so and you'll see Marvel coming in with a vengeance.

Friday, July 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home