Monday, March 24, 2008

Best Comic

I'm thinking about renaming this series "What I Read", since I'm having such a hard time finding outstanding comics this season. Maybe the big two are prepping for their big summer spectaculars and are too busy to quality check their stuff. Maybe I'm becoming jaded. Who knows?

Anyway, this is what I grabbed this week:

Brave and the Bold #11 -- Superman and his anti-universe duplicate team up and fail at their mission. Lots of exposition, not enough everything else. Waid is losing his focus on this run, I think. The Challengers of the Unknown, being the focus of the current run, need a bit more attention in terms of character development if they are going to be in multiple issues. In a single issue, you can just take the surface characteristics of the team and that'll work. Put them in multiple issues and readers begin to wonder why the characters act the way they do.

Countdown #6: One of the best of the series... no one talks. It's all written by an uninvolved third party in journal form. Superheroes act as the vector for the disease which is dooming the universe. It's still Countdown, though. I can't really bring myself to care.

Incredible Hercules #115: Comics reviewers have been raving about this book, so I grabbed an issue. It was pretty decent. Hercules is a lot like I remembered him from the salad days when Walt Simonson was writing him in the 80's.

Invincible #49: Somewhere, Invincible went from a boy who loved being a superhero to a man who is taking things way too seriously. As his enemies grow in numbers and his social life becomes more complex, the accumulated story-barnacles from the past 48 issues is starting to weigh down the title character, making him less fun, less likable. Let's see what he does in issue #50.

Iron Fist #13: Another highly rated book. I'll have to back-collect to figure out what's going on.

JLA #19: The JLA get lost on an alien planet. Really boring. Why isn't McDuffie writing anymore? Was it his month off?

Shadowpact #23: Another book that went from fun to dark. They're losing a team member per book, now, with the Swordsman out last issue and Blue Devil depowered in this one.

The Order #9: I read that they're going to cancel this book. It looks like the authors heard this and decided to kill off the team. This particular issue has the Order's butt handed to them. Let's see how they get out of this one...

Wolverine Origins #23: As I mentioned last week, it's odd that Origins takes place in the present while the regular book takes place in the past. This was another long book of Deadpool and Wolverine slashing at each other with wild abandon. Notable is the fact that Deadpool seems to have planned this really well and Wolverine is taking a lot of damage.

So, the best comic book this week? Hard to say, and I don't have a snarky animated movie reference to throw at you. I did finish watching the Venture Brothers Season Two DVDs, and they were great, but I already launched Henry Killinger at you last week. Well, maybe next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home